I don't really know how to put the RAGBRAI experience into words, so this is my last post about the ride. My guess is that everyone's already heard enough anyway.
Act I: Team Wimpy
Would I cycle all seven days of RAGBRAI again? Absolutely. I would ride with the same team because of the variety of riders. There were super fast riders, slow riders, drinkers, heavy drinkers, and non drinkers. It truly was a eclectic mix of people. I rode with some of the heavier drinkers, but I was able to moderate my drinking and enjoy the festivities. Each night a circle was formed. It was similar to a campfire with no fire (since we were staying on someone's lawn). This was a great time for me to connect with the cyclists I didn't see during the day.
Act II: Small Town Love
One of my favorite small town activities of the week was not the water slides set up in various farm ditches, but the throwing of cow pies in Ackley, Iowa. It helped that they were using it to raise money for prom. I also ate multiple snow cones. Snow cones are great on a hot day, and it helps that the money is going to local groups. One snow cone stand was for an elementary basketball team, and the players were serving the cones. A local church group was selling pie. Plus, they let me use their indoor bathroom! I love that the RAGBRAI pass through towns are small towns welcoming up to 20,000 riders.
Act III: The Ride
The ride was 481.5 (I believe.) miles. I'm glad I trained and put miles in before the ride. Cycling across Iowa is beautiful. The rolling plains, bean fields, corn fields, trees... All that makes up the landscape of Iowa is seen from the seat of a bike, and it's dang amazing. It's more than riding over 400 miles; it's riding over 400 miles with 15,000+ people. Riding with this number of people is intense. This is one of the best adventures I've had in my life.
The next RAGBRAI is in 359 days (longer than a year... something to do with the calendar). The announcement party is in January (January 23, 2016). I can't wait to look at next year's route. We'll see if I'm in once they reveal the route.
Comments