![]() |
| For those that think Iowa is completely flat... |
Act One: Wednesday's ride brought riders hanging out at the nursing home. The nursing home had signs welcoming RAGBRAI riders to come in for an indoor bathroom and a place to relax in the shade. They also invited riders to stop and talk to the residents. As we rode past, we witnessed riders sitting next to residents. It was so sweet. Later I wished that I had actually stopped and talked with the residents. It's a great idea. RAGBRAI is about more than riding; it's about talking to people and enjoying the stories of others.
Act Two: One Thursday (?) I was struggling with my asthma. It'd been fairly controlled all week, but I was struggling. As I was struggling up and down some of the smaller hills, I was gasping for air. Normally I cycled with a group of five to six, but at this point I was riding with one other member of the team. Although I didn't really know him well, he kept riding with me and persuading me to stop and use my inhaler. I kept saying one more hill then I'll stop. My guess is I was super frustrating to ride with during this time, but he was extremely kind and patient (not bad for someone I'd know for three days).
Act Three: On Wednesday I rode with a friend (M) and former colleague. She's originally from Cedar Falls, and we had a great time riding and talking. We stopped by the campsite to get my stuff to stay at her dad's house. It was my first chance to wash my hair, and the shower was exactly what I needed. Plus, I was able to take some of my dirty clothes to my car. Thursday she took me back to the campsite, so I could ride with Team Wimpy. During the ride M sent a message wondering if I needed the sleeping bag and sleeping pad that were in the back of the car. We exchanged several messages back and forth as I tried to figure it out. Basically, I must have accidentally grabbed someone else's bag on Wednesday as I put my stuff in her car. A group of us were sitting around as we took a break. M noticed a last name on the bag. I asked if anyone knew a C on the team. K, a friend I'd made while riding, said it was here last name. She lives in CF and had stayed at her house, so she didn't know her stuff was missing. It's hard to explain, but she was able to borrow items for the last two nights due to schedules and M took the stuff to K's house in CF. Anyway, M and K both showed kindness and understanding. Everything tends to work out when people are kind and helpful.

Comments