Since most of the students are researching children's rights, the journal entries have been about children's rights as well. Today's picture was one of a young girl I took while I was in Guatemala. As we were discussing the picture, I learned about some Latino foods. During the first hour, one student mentioned the picaditas on the large skillet. In the next class, there was debate whether they were picaditas or pupusas. By the time the third hour class discussed it, I had used the google machine to research both of these, so I was able to discuss tortillas, picaditas, or pupusas. I'm still thinking they're tortillas. Pupusas seem to be stuffed and not as flat. Picaditas seem to have edges that are turned up. Of course I'm not an expert, but I knew how to have the conversation by my fourth hour class. Plus, I was able to describe and show pictures to my non-latino students. Of course other thoughts were pita bread, cookies, and pancakes. Perhaps that's why it's called perceive. Everyone comes with their own background knowledge.
Today I give thanks for...
1) tortillas
2) elimination of elephants at the circus
3) grades completed and bills paid
Comments
I just looked at some photos of picaditas. They look so good.
No elephants at ANY circus??? That's cause for celebration.