Today we had a field trip to Richardson Nature Center. Since there wasn't enough snow for snow shoeing, we did two outdoor activities (a nature hike and fire and shelter building). This alternated with the inside activity of looking at the raptors. One would wonder if teaching middle school boys the basics of fire starting is a good idea, but they enjoyed it. The most zealous groups I observed were those made up of solely boys. Since we had time before and after the field trip, we watched the movie Eight Below. At the end of the day, we still had thirty minutes remaining. I probably don't need to tell anyone I've never seen the movie since I rarely watch movies, but I've never watched the movie. It would be impossible to count the number of times I had tears in my eyes, although I can count the times (one) when I jumped out of my seat, put my hands up to my mouth, and yelled, "Oh my God." A colleague and I were discussing our dilemma of how to show the remaining 30 minutes of the movie knowing all (including us) would want to watch it, so we started texting a colleague who was not able to be at school today. The two of us kept passing the phone back and forth texting her while we tried to talk to the group of students. I think it's solved and everyone will be able to watch the end tomorrow. As for me, I rented it through iTunes and finished watching with some watery eyes.
Note: If jdoc is reading this, Sam should NEVER EVER watch this movie.
I skipped yesterday's blog because... IDK. Yesterday I gave thanks for...
1) acupuncture
2) students working after school and at lunch on essays
3) kind words (insightful words) from peer coach in post observation
Today I give thanks for...
1) a day spent outside in nature
2) an emotional movie with an attractive leading man
3) complimentary adults at Richardson
Comments