This sucks. Actually, these suck. It appears I didn't water my plants last week, and these peace lilies are always a good reminder. They are watered, along with the others and sucking water.
For some reason my honors class makes me do dishonorable things. Today was a perfect example. A student came in and asked me if one could say sucks in school. I tried to figure out what she was getting at, but I couldn't figure it out. As I started class, I told her that I could say sucks, but it depended on the way it was said. Throughout the hour, I used the word sucks on various occasions as we talked about their speech preparation. Each time I used the word suck, I looked at her to make sure she understood what I was doing. In fact, since I was proud of my different somewhat (not really) appropriate uses of the word suck, with seven minutes left of class, I told her I could probably use it three more times. After I hit suck number 3, one student let me know that I accomplished my goal in two minutes.
After class, I went to the math teacher to see if he had used sucks in class and try to figure out the story. It seems the student used the word sucks, and he told her we don't use sucks in school. In fact, he told her that we use more intelligent language. Oops! I guess I wasn't much of a support and need to use more intelligent language. I guess I'll use the three day weekend to come up with intelligent alternatives for the word suck. It would really suck if I caused an entire honors class to start using the word suck in other classes.
Comments
One of the Thirdlanders said "This sucks" the other day and it didn't surprise me but a pal teacher was in the room and she shook her head a little bit. I've got to remember to put the kibosh on This Sucks in the future. Because I've been out of the classroom for awhile, I have forgotten a lot of things.