Take Me to Church by Hozier
My lover's got humour
She's the giggle at a funeral
Knows everybody's disapproval
I should've worshipped her soon
Today is the first day of Lent, and I attended Catholic mass to start the Lenten season. I'll admit that it wasn't horrible although I was a bit confused when the priest referenced Joseph as Mary's spouse. Basically, I agreed with his words especially the social justice stuff, but I'm not sure I believe Joseph and Mary were married. I mean I'm sure they were, but I don't think it's mentioned.
Anyway, I'm in God's Country for a funeral. One that I will not giggle at since it's the funeral of one of my best friend's sister. In fact, I attended Ash Wednesday service with the family. It's a crazy time, Lent, as I reflect on my life. My Lenten practice this year will include reading a book recommended by a wise friend. The book, Bread and Wine: Reading for Lent and Easter my be a challenge, but I guess that's another part of Lent. According to the introduction, Lent is "a time to let go of excuses for failings and shortcomings." We'll see how this goes...
I give thanks for...
1) an evening with good friends
2) looking at Lent differently
3) colleagues who make life easier
Comments
I might look for that book for my mom. She likes to read about Lent.
I'm really surprised you didn't know Joseph and Mary were married. That's a key Catholic teaching, as I recall.
I have had two occasions this long weekend when I've wanted to take communion in the Catholic church to see if I'd get struck by lightening.