I'm certain to quite certain that I have previously blogged about Sweet Search, but I did a search of my blog and couldn't find anything. Anyway, today we talked about evaluating websites after looking at the tree octopus website. I'm not sure who keeps this up to date, but I appreciate it. After going through the web evaluation criteria most of my honors students felt that it would be a legit website for research. After looking at the website and the criteria, we discussed common sense. I discussed how several mentioned that the photo could have been photoshopped at the beginning and still fell for the hoax website. Next, I talked about bias and explained in order to find two sides (liberal and conservative) for their research, they would need to find websites with bias. Anyway, students were to come with one website today and start their web evaluation. Many were concerned that their site wasn't legitimate according to the criteria. I said it didn't really matter for the evaluation. Students merely needed to decide if it was a legitimate website for research. As I explained that they would be able to use another site (several other sites) for their research, and this site was merely to show they could evaluate a website, one student asked if they could use Sweet Search. We talked about Sweet Search as a better alternative to Google at the beginning of the year. "Yes! Of course you can use Sweet Search," I wanted to yell and hug this student. Gee, maybe some students are paying attention.
Also, as I watched the attached (rather long) video, I learned that one can share the links to Easybib.org which we also covered today. Yay!
Today I am thankful for...
1) Sweet Search and students who pay attention
2) a piece of cherry pie
3) the veto of Keystone
Comments