Skip to main content

Part I


I'm choosing Part I for this post because they'll inevitably be a Part II.  Tonight I've been doing laundry and working on revising my next writing unit.  It's taking a long time because I keep changing the timeline.  When I change the timeline, I need to change the notebook file.  I know I should do the timeline first, but sometimes planning like writing is a fluid process.

Did I mention I'm also doing laundry?  My planning is also interrupted by laundry.  Realizing my second load had been in the washer for a long time, I went down to put the clothes in the dryer.  Unfortunately, the washer is full of water.  I did have an alternate plan for the wet clothes, but it's best that I don't discuss it.  In all reality, it's a plugged drain hose or pump.  Perhaps it's a bad pump.  It doesn't really matter because it will probably cost $100 to get someone to come out.  I've done all I can to alleviate the problem, but my washer is still full of water.  Tomorrow I will go buy a new washer and perhaps a new dryer.

Why do I spend many of my weekends grading?  Today I sat at the front of the room with a couple minutes remaining in each class.  In our school, we are encouraged to wear our college gear on Friday, and I'm always a fan of sporting my ISU sweatshirt.  "Tomorrow night at 8:00 Iowa State plays Kansas.  Iowa State is rated 11, and Kansas is in the top ten.  Why am I telling you this?"

"So we cheer for Iowa State?" asked several students.
"Of course you'll cheer for Iowa Sate.  Why else am I telling you this?"  Most if not all faces at this point are blank and/or perplexed.  "I'm telling you this because I plan to start grading your papers during the game.  Actually, pre-game will probably start at 7:00, so you'll want to have this writing complete by 7:00 tomorrow.  It's not due at the end of the hour.  You have until 7:00 pm tomorrow."  We'll see who takes advantage of the extra time.

Go Cyclones!

Comments

LH said…
I hope they send the papers your way.

Do you use google drive for turning in papers? I've started this halfheartedly.

Go IOWA STATE!
Go Bachelor!
mm said…
LH- I use Google drive and Doctopus for the writing papers I grade because I like having ownership of the doc with 7th graders. I use Google Classroom with papers I don't care about as much. Google Classroom is easier for the students to keep docs organized. It's also easy to quite easy for teachers. I'd say Google Classroom would be amazing in Thirdland.

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Demolition

The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars "Today I don't feel like doing anything I just wanna lay in my bed Don't feel like picking up my phone, so leave a message at the tone 'Cause today I swear I'm not doing anything." I am going to school with a thank you/apology note in hand. Yesterday I was "caught red handed" making illegal copies on the staff copier. It's not like it's the first time I've done it. It's not like everyone doesn't do it. It's not like I feel sorry about making the copies The problem is that I was caught, completely "busted". I watched the copy police (lovely lady) walk into make a copy and knew she would see the copies I was making and be upset to quite upset. "Shit," I uttered as I was talking to the secretaries watching her walk into the room. According to the copy police I am banned from the staff copier. Maybe I'll try to follow the rules for the next week or two. An ea...