Today the seventh graders listened to me rush through a story about Dondre Green. It was a nonfiction story about Dondre not being allowed to play at a golf course in 1991 because he was black. This nonfiction selection (Mason-Dixon Memory) also tells the story of a young man who was not allowed to go to an amusement park in 1959 because he was black. Our conversation revolved around theme and conflict, but many of the students were having problems with the nonfiction aspect. At least one student in each class stopped me for clarification. "How can this be true? It takes place in 1991?" they questioned. We had the discussion about racism and how it hasn't disappeared from our lives. Plus, I added in that in the 90s there were golf courses that didn't allow women.
Also, one day this week I posted to FB this week that I was calling in sick because it was cold outside. A couple people messaged me with their concerns. I had to explain that I was not dumb enough to post to FB that I was calling in sick when I wasn't sick. C'mon people!
Also, since I felt the need to show my picture for my school Google account next week, I'm going to give quick steps on how to find a images labeled for reuse. Merely go to Google and click on images. Next, click on search tools. This will give options for the search. Woot!
Yes, this is the best I have for today. Although my late/missing work document and form are amazing, I'm spending a lot of time grading work for students concerned about tomorrow's conferences.


Comments