Skip to main content

Wishes and Lies #11


I wish animals didn't have to suffer.  I wish I could save all animals (This is actually a lie.  There are some mean and ugly animals).  Today I noticed the rear end of an animal sticking out of the bushes at my dad's farm.  It looked as if the animal was dead (at least it wasn't moving and was in a weird location), so I decided taking a picture would be in bad taste.  Soon after viewing the animal, some guy came to the door to see if he could hunt on the property.  After I informed him that there was no hunting or trapping on the property, he mentioned the hurt baby raccoon (probably more of an adolescent).


Immediately after he left, I went to see the raccoon who now had started moving slowly across the area.  He/she was indeed hurt and was moving slowly.  It looked as if his rear leg or something was injured.  Since I don't know what to do in situations like this (I wish I did), I texted a friend's husband who used to work for the DNR.  Then I called an animal rescue lady in the area.  She said the DNR would probably shoot it if I called them for assistance.  After a somewhat lengthy conversation, I decided to help the raccoon myself following her suggestions.  I put cat food, apples, a crumbled granola bar and water out for the raccoon because raccoons are herbivores, like sweet food, and have small mouths (hence cat food and not dog food).  Actually, she was super helpful and gave me some great advice, but she also gave me some not so useful advice such as not to pet or pick up the raccoon.  Yep, I already knew this.  She mentioned the raccoon was smart and would know I was trying to help by leaving the food and water.


Next I called my friend (J) that knows everything because I was going to ask someone in the area to give the raccoon more water and food as the week progressed.  J told me it might not be a good idea to continue feeding the raccoon because he would never leave.  When I talked to my dad, he suggested that he would have "taken care of it" and raccoons were a menace to the pheasant population.  I'm sure this is true, but the poor little coon was hurt and shaking.  I hope the takes advantage of the one time generosity of cat food, apples, and water because it's up to her/him to survive from this point on.  My wish is that the raccoon gets strong and remembers my kindness.  He did come out and eat a bit before hiding under a tree.

Comments

LH said…
I wish you could have that raccoon for a pet. Great photos.

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Missing You

Two Sundays ago I missed church because I was out of town. Last Sunday I missed church because I could not get to church due to the marathon (blocking my path... not my running). Dad and I tried to leave early, but we did not leave early enough. I joked with Dad about the fact that they would miss me at church. When I checked my e-mail this evening, I actually had an e-mail from my pastor saying I was missed. It was a short e-mail, but it was sweet and definitely a positive part of my day.