Skip to main content

A Year of Firsts


January- In January I bought real boots for the Minnesota Winter and participated in my first University of Okoboji Winter Games.


February- Last year we actually had multiple snow days.  It was crazy!


March- I bought a new bike last year (1700 miles from June to November).  A friend and I also visited the ice caves on Lake Superior which were amazing.  The Iowa State Men's basket ball team was also Big XII champs although I didn't personally contribute to this victory.


April-   I gave Hoot away for World Book Night.  I also started 30 Days of Biking, but then crashed my new bike on April 6th.  For me it was 6 Days of Biking (2015 will be 30).


May- I started spin classes at the Y since I couldn't ride my bike outside.  May was also a big month for PT, but let's be honest, most of 2014 was filled with PT (ankle, shoulder, knee).  May also brought a math blog challenge (What?!).   I also went  to Art-a Whirl for the first time.


June- During June I rode my bike (a lot... 500 miles in June).  I rode it in Iowa and Minnesota.  My bike and I became great friends in June.


July- July was my favorite month of the entire year.  Although I only rode two days of RAGBRAI (Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa), I fell in love with RAGBRAI.  I also attended my first Lake Affect concert on Lake Okoboji.  Plus, I also went to a Counting Crows concert.


August- It seems August was dull.  All I can figure is I biked and went back to school.


September- I waited (dumb) until September to join a bike club.  Perhaps it was a year of firsts because I rode in my first University of Okoboji Oktoberfest Bike Ride.  It was also the final Harkin Steak Fry with a visit from Bill and Hillary.


October- Once again I went to Dallas to help friends with a track meet for the visually impaired.  I also so Pearl Jam (on a school night) for the first time.  The concert was amazing.


November- In November I found Mona Pants, and I can't really explain my fascination with this dog.  I also spent the week of Thanksgiving in Dallas with a high school friend and her family.  As for November tradition, I also participated in Small Business Sunday.  November also marked my last bike ride for the year.


December- I tried to save a raccoon in December although I'll never really know if I helped the little creature.  I also added up my reads for the year (92 books).

Comments

LH said…
A great year. It was fun reading along.

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Missing You

Two Sundays ago I missed church because I was out of town. Last Sunday I missed church because I could not get to church due to the marathon (blocking my path... not my running). Dad and I tried to leave early, but we did not leave early enough. I joked with Dad about the fact that they would miss me at church. When I checked my e-mail this evening, I actually had an e-mail from my pastor saying I was missed. It was a short e-mail, but it was sweet and definitely a positive part of my day.