"Will it make it easier on you..." U2
Our student all have devices this year and a inexpensive access to internet at home. Basically, I'm thrilled with the one to one initiative. The other day I noticed to boys enthralled with the computer when they were supposed to be reading. When I went over to check it out, they were looking at pictures of snuff. It was mentioned in the book. They didn't understand and looked it up. Yay!! The conversation that followed was interesting to quite interesting. It went something like this...
B1- I don't get it. What is it?
M- It's tobacco.
B2- Why is it called snuff?
M- You snuff, inhale, it up your nose.
At this point both boys are looking equal parts disgusted and amazed.
B2- But why?
M- I don't know. It seems kinda gross to me.
B1- Yeah
B2- Do you get high?
M- I'm not really sure, but I would guess you get a bit of a rush. It has nicotine in it.
After the conversation was over, both boys seemed not only satisfied with the answers, but they seemed to be anti-snuff. One to one equals immediate interaction with the text.
Not all about the one to one is positive. On Friday I warned/threatened my honors class that they would receive a zero on their summative exam if they worked on it at home. I gave them numerous examples about how I would know about and enforce this threat. Today I received an e-mail from one of these students.
Mrs.Moeller I accidently opened up the summitive because i thought it was the summative preperation notes. email me back.
I am not a fan of students feeling the need to e-mail whenever they chose. This was my reply:
In the future, if you are going to e-mail a teacher, you should not be demanding. Use please e-mail me back at your convenience instead of "email me back."
If you need to discuss this with me, please come in before school.
I"m going to hope that this student learns some manners and takes the time to see me before school. Too harsh?!
Comments