| I ventured out on a new trail today. When I wasn't sure of my path, I stopped and talked to a group of four riders. They, too, weren't sure of their path. |
Last night at book club, one of the ladies started the conversation about the current book by saying that some people didn't want to read the next book. Of course, there are times when not everyone reads the books, so I found the conversation annoying. While she was ranting, I decided to look up the book, Half the Sky. It's a book about the world wide oppression of women, and it's a women's book club. Why wouldn't people read this book? The answer because it would be a difficult reading about the harsh realities of women around the world. What?! Perhaps it would be easier to ignore these issues. Of course, I immediately downloaded it when I returned home and finished it this afternoon. I gave the book 3.5 out of 5 stars (I can't officially do this with Goodreads. How do I give .5 star with Goodreads? Anyone?!).
My lack of four or five stars was not because I found it difficult to read about the atrocities women face around the world. As I read, I was disappointed that they ignored the fact that the same problems (such as sex trafficking... why does trafficking have a k when traffic doesn't?) are faced in the United States. As I read, I also was disappointed in the lack of understanding other cultures. I'm not talking about women being oppressed or "second-class citizens," but they seem to think having a TV is a status of knowledge and a better life. These, of course, were small parts of the book, and overall, it did a good job showing stories of women around the world who are oppressed. Plus, they gave some legitimate ways to help. Anyway, my guess is those women who don't want to read it because "it's too difficult" are the ones that need to be informed.
Comments
3.5 is pretty high praise from you.