~from Dorothy Day: Selected Writings (July-August 1940)
There is poverty and hunger and war in the world. And we prepare for more war. There is desperate suffering with no prospect of relief. But we would be contributing to the misery and desperation of the world if we failed to rejoice in the sun, the moon, and the stars, in the rivers which surround this island on which we live, in the cool breezes of the bay, in what food we have and in the benefactors God sends."
Today I skipped church and went on a bike ride. I have several reasons for skipping church, one being trying to get out before the rain. In reality, I found today's ride a reminder of the beauty that abounds in this crazy world. My ride today took me to the Mississippi River, around Lake of the Isles and Lake Calhoun, and through native grasses. Even the trails were somewhat quiet as I traversed the varying scenery. It was kinda like being in church.
Comments