I feel that I've done a decent job of not mentioning the shoulder lately, but it hurts. Friday I inadvertently used it to shove against a wall. Inadvertently?! It truly was instinctual. As I was using my butt to move a two drawer file cabinet in my classroom, I pushed against the wall for more oomph without thinking. The pain was immediate and intense. Plus, I was a bit embarrassed by this stupid move. After I asked a colleague to move the file cabinet, I called the PT and announced my lack of thinking. Although it might set me back, the PT informed, it shows that I'm improving because my instinct isn't to protect it. With a reminder to "let pain be my guide" and not overdo, the PT recommended going back to some beginning exercises but trying my others in a couple of days.
Today I was able to do most of the exercises. As I looked at my sheets, to remember the exercises and reps, I looked again at the hand written note on one of the sheets. My PT always writes "NO PAIN" somewhere on my sheets in capital letters. Last time I informed Mr. PT that capital letters was a bit much, but it did not deter him. The truth is that I am a Generation X child raised on the saying, "No pain, no gain." It's a lame excuse, but it's also engrained in my inner psyche. Maybe I'll explain that to him when I see him next week.
Comments
I'm a boomer so I don't really believe in the no pain no gain saying. Pain? Give me some medication now please. That's usually my motto.