As of April 29th we (the teachers in my district) had gone 302 days without a contract. Of course, the number of days without a contract continues to rise. In the past we've done "Work to Rule" in such a situation (actually much earlier). This means teachers only work their contract time arriving and leaving at the designated time the contract states. Plus, teachers were not to take any work home. I always had a problem with this because I could never do my job in the contract hours which was supposed to be the point, but I felt that it hurt teachers and students more than anyone else. Although we're not doing "Work to Rule" this year, we have been wearing black on Friday, and this Friday we will meet in the parking lot and walk in together at the time designated in the contract. We, at least I, have been told we can go work in our classrooms then come out and walk in together showing solidarity.
An e-mail was sent out saying there'd be yogurt parfaits and banana bread at 7:15 in the parking lot. A place to rally, gather, discuss, eat... I sent our building reps and e-mail saying, "I would be more likely to freeze my ass off in a parking lot Friday morning if there were donuts or adult beverages. ...not sure I can do it for yogurt and bagels." Of course, I was wrong about the bagels, but I feel the same about yogurt and banana bread. Anyway, after three or four e-mails, it was decided that there would be donuts, and I would be the one picking them up. How does this happen? At least I'll get a donut or two.

Comments
I've just been reading about the new NYC teacher contract. Sounds pretty good.