Skip to main content

Sign


"Signs" by Tesla

And the sign says, "Long hair freaky people need not apply"
So I put my hair under my hat and I went in to ask him, why?
He said, "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do"
So I took off my hat I said, "Imagine that, huh me working for you"
Oh, signs, signs, everywhere there's signs
Blocking up the scenery, breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?
And the sign says, "Anybody caught trespassing will be shot on sight"
So I jumped the fence and I yelled at the house
Eh, what gives you the right?
To put up a fence and keep me out or to keep mother nature in
If God was here He'd tell it to your face, man you're some kind of sinner
Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs
Blocking up the scenery, breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?
Oh but say now, "Mister, can't you read?
You got to have a shirt and tie to get a seat
You can't watch, no you can't eat
You ain't supposed to be here"
And the sign says, "You gotta have a membership card
To get inside", uuh
And the sign says, "Everybody welcome, come in kneel down and pray
But then they passed around a plate at the end of it all
And I didn't have a penny to pay
So I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own little sign
I said, "Thank you Lord for thinking about me, I'm alive and doing fine"
Signs, signs everywhere, there's signs
Blocking up the scenery, breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?
Signs, signs everywhere, there's signs
Blocking up the scenery, breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?


Day 22: Sign
Again the Lord spoke to Ahaz:  “Ask a sign from the Lord your God. Make it as deep as the grave[a] or as high as heaven.” But Ahaz said, “I won’t ask; I won’t test the Lord.” Then Isaiah said, “Listen, house of David! Isn’t it enough for you to be tiresome for people that you are also tiresome before my God? Therefore, the Lord will give you a sign. The young woman is pregnant and is about to give birth to a son, and she will name him Immanuel. He will eat butter and honey, and learn to reject evil and choose good. Before the boy learns to reject evil and choose good, the land of the two kings you dread will be abandoned. - Isaiah 7:10-16, The Message

Signs. Do you believe in them? Would we recognize a sign from God if we saw it? If God offered one to us as God did with King Ahaz?  Can you think of a time when you encountered the living God?
What are those signs of God's faithfulness that we can point to in our lives? In our churches? In our neighborhoods?  Where is God breaking into the world?

Maybe the question isn't when I "encountered the living God."  Maybe the better question asks about missing the living God.  Today's prompt brought this song to my head which has a similar meaning to yesterday's song.  I feel like Rethink Church would not be happy with my posts, but I am posting each day and kind of using the prompt each day.

Soap Nuts
How do I know if my laundry is clean?  Seriously.  Last night I received the gift of Soap Nuts.  Today I used them in my laundry, all four loads.  They seem to work.  It's an interesting concept.  I think I like them.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Missing You

Two Sundays ago I missed church because I was out of town. Last Sunday I missed church because I could not get to church due to the marathon (blocking my path... not my running). Dad and I tried to leave early, but we did not leave early enough. I joked with Dad about the fact that they would miss me at church. When I checked my e-mail this evening, I actually had an e-mail from my pastor saying I was missed. It was a short e-mail, but it was sweet and definitely a positive part of my day.