Lord God of heavenly forces, how long will you fume against your people’s prayer? You’ve fed them bread made of tears; you’ve given them tears to drink three times over! You’ve put us at odds with our neighbors; our enemies make fun of us. Restore us, God of heavenly forces! Make your face shine so that we can be saved! - Psalm 80: 4-7, Common English Bible
Someone's not happy. The familiar cry, "How long?" is echoed here. And according to the psalm, it's not the people at fault. It's God. The people see no sign of God's presence in the midst of the turmoil they are experiencing. They are being made to look ridiculous in front of their neighbors. They are hurt and scorned. How long, O Lord? When was the last time you admitted these raw feelings to God? When have you screamed, asking, "Why, God?"
This Advent season, what is it you lament? What is it you are asking God to restore?
Once again I am confused by the verse and questions chosen for the prompt "Neighbors." I think advent is a time of awakening, of joy, of love, of sharing... NOT lament.
It is another cold, snowy day. I try to embrace the beauty and think of winters when I really wanted snow for Christmas. The one thing I notice about winter is my lack of neighbors. During the warmer months, I am always outside as our my neighbors. It's nice to catch up and chat. During the winter months, I stay inside and rarely see my neighbors. Winter tends to keep everyone huddled inside. Yep, that's all I have for neighbors...
Comments
I don't use it enough.