But the exact day and hour? No one knows that, not even heaven’s angels, not even the Son. Only the Father knows. The Arrival of the Son of Man will take place in times like Noah’s. Before the great flood everyone was carrying on as usual, having a good time right up to the day Noah boarded the ark. They knew nothing—until the flood hit and swept everything away. - Matthew 24:36-39
"The Jesus in the book of Matthew is aware of what’s coming, but he is also pretty focused on the needs of the day. In other words, he wasn’t so focused on the future that he ignored what the hungry, the imprisoned, the marginalized needed of him at that moment."
First, I know this is blasphemous, but as I've said before, I'm not sure I believe in Heaven. I believe in "heaven on Earth." IMHO, we need to be open to the amazement and focused on good behavior to make the world we live in a better place instead of doing it to "get into heaven." Do people really believe that the focus should be on behave, so something good will happen to you? Really?!
I read this verse and the commentary this morning before I left for school. It seemed obtuse until I read the news of Nelson Mandela's passing. Nelson Mandela seemed to know what to live without "ignoring the hungry, the imprisoned, and the marginalized."


Comments
What an inspiration.