Skip to main content

Final Countdown


Yesterday afternoon, I met with the wonderful person with whom I'll be presenting next Sunday at the NCTE (National Conference Teachers of English) Annual Conference.  Even though we are presenting the same information which we presented in Birmingham at the NWP (National Writers Project) Urban Conferences, we spent a couple of hours reformatting and updating our information.  It may not seem like it since it took us two hours, but we tend to work well together.

Tonight, I spent longer than needed making my reserve plans for next Thursday and Friday.  I am lucky to have an amazing teacher in my room for the two days.  Today I informed the students of my upcoming absence.  I also informed them that they "would learn" while I was gone, and with J in my room, they will learn!

I know many people have presented at NCTE, but I'm getting excited about it.  This is new for me, and I think it's kinda cool.  Now, I'm trying to remind myself that  it's OK that we have a Sunday afternoon session, and it will be OK if no one shows up.  After all, I can blame it on the time, and the fact that many will be on their way home.  This is really going to happen!


Reading the World through Journal Writing:  A Framework to Create Critical Thinking and Empower Students.

How can we empower students to develop and share their ideas through writing and class discussions on a daily basis? This interactive session will examine how connecting a multi-genre, multi-media response system in journals with a classroom community of learning shifts the role of journals to that of social justice.

Comments

LH said…
I'm not jealous of too much these days, but I'm jealous of your NCTE trip. Your talk sounds v. interesting and I wish I could hear it. Enjoy my birth city.

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Demolition

The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars "Today I don't feel like doing anything I just wanna lay in my bed Don't feel like picking up my phone, so leave a message at the tone 'Cause today I swear I'm not doing anything." I am going to school with a thank you/apology note in hand. Yesterday I was "caught red handed" making illegal copies on the staff copier. It's not like it's the first time I've done it. It's not like everyone doesn't do it. It's not like I feel sorry about making the copies The problem is that I was caught, completely "busted". I watched the copy police (lovely lady) walk into make a copy and knew she would see the copies I was making and be upset to quite upset. "Shit," I uttered as I was talking to the secretaries watching her walk into the room. According to the copy police I am banned from the staff copier. Maybe I'll try to follow the rules for the next week or two. An ea...