![]() |
| Perhaps not the most flattering outfit or photo, but this is it. |
Our presentation today was at 1:00. As we readied and watched people leave for the airport, we discussed going to get something to eat if no one showed up at our session. It was a serious possibility because it seemed as if no one was around. Instead, we ran out of hand-outs. The attendees seemed pleased with our presentation.
After almost losing a student journal last time we presented, we decided not to bring student journals. Instead we photocopied some examples. I did, however, bring my journal from last year and this year to show the beginning pages of resources. Since we're going one to one next year, and I didn't want to carry any more than necessary home, I had already decided that last year's journal would be recycled at the end of the presentation. One of the attendees, a first year teacher, had many questions, comments, etc. I could tell by talking to her that she was figuring out how to implement the process immediately. She was thankful and excited and... Instead of recycling the journal, I passed it off to her as we closed the session. I may have even made her day!
We also already received an e-mail from another attendee...
I am genuinely loving your presentation! Your work, packed with ready-to-use concrete resources and exemplars, will make its way into my classroom this week.
"When you get a moment, would you mind emailing me a digital copy of your presentation?
Honestly, our "Do Now/Write Now" routine is on life-support :). We've undeniably grow by leaps and bounds using the AP skills prep book Voice Lessons by Nancy Dean, but the absence of... the magic component is having adverse effects, for sure.
I have a few follow-up questions for you both. I'd love to hear much more about the color-coded writing system and its connection to the Friday summative piece, which I love. I'd also enjoy swapping some of my best successes re: sentence starters, systems, and best TAL, Story Corps, or film clip prompts that I've found much success with.
Let me know if you'd ever be up for a quick phone chat. I have rotating free periods and am free most days after 6:00 pm and on weekends.
Thank you again -- I can't believe I was on the fence about making it out to that one last workshop!"
Now, it's time to sit and wait... for the cab, the plane, the ride home... Do I really have to teach tomorrow? I'm exhausted.

Comments
Wish I had been there!!!! Sounds like it was a home run.
I'm glad some appreciated your hard work!