Ok, perhaps it's lame to use another Mental Floss video for today's learning blog, but I did learn quite a bit of trivia. Plus, although I'm done packing, I need to eat before I play 18 holes of golf. Golf and vacation and LEARNING... it's difficult to balance.
If you don't watch the video, you're missing out, but these are the facts I found worth recording.
Gold Rush...1848 not 1949. It looks like I'm going to start calling them the 48ers. Hee Hee!
Florida more lightening strikes... I'm sure this has to do with their political beliefs and not weather.
Mason-Dixon line... I knew the historical significance thanks to a story I use at school, but I did not know the beginnings.
Britt Iowa... I did know about Hobo Days (also Hobo Days in college... completely different), but I did not know that hobos were migrant workers. This will come in handy when a student is referring to someone as a hobo.
No one knows what Hoosier means? LH, tell me this isn't true!
Lakes larger than 10 acres... Who knew that actually measured? I figured it was made up for tourism.
Yay! Of course God's Country, Iowa, wins border battle!
Love comments on New York Post... hee hee...
You can't pump your own gas in Oregon or New Jersey? Wow, I would like this in the winter.
Comments
Alas, it was not there.
I wonder how he learns all this stuff.