![]() |
| www.audubon.org |
Today I finished the young adult book, Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt. I thought it was thought provoking on many different levels. One of the story lines is the main character, Doug, learning to draw with the help of a mentor and James Audubon's pictures. Of course I recognize the name Audubon from the Audubon Society (I learned the Audubon Society was founded to honor James Audubon). This evening I thought I'd try to read another chapter from the other book (tome) I'm reading, The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris by David McCullough. In Part II of my book John James Audubon comes up since he is in London overseeing the production of his fourth volume of The Birds of America. The Birds of America happens to be the same book that Schmidt talks about in Okay for Now. Both books I'm reading mention James Audubon and The Birds of America. Ahhhh... I decided to learn more about Audubon and his book.
First, I didn't realize Audubon dates back to the 1800s. From my brief research, he started drawing birds at a young age yet was in business. When business went bad, he took off down the Mississippi and started drawing birds. This partly finished collection was "an overnight success" in England. He actually used wires to hold the birds (dead), so he could draw them.
The original version of the book was "printed on handmade paper 39.5 inches tall by 28.5 inches wide." Dang!! That's a big book. It seems he started out with magazine type sales and then put the collection into a book. Honestly, I quit reading. As LH would say, if you want to learn more, you should...

Comments
I loved our first grade team's lesson last year where kids studied Audubon and did bird research.
Great job on the learning!