When I returned from my walk this morning, my dad asked about my iPhone. He has a 4G Droid, and I have a 3G iPhone, but I use mine all of the time, and he basically uses his for phone, e-mail, and texting. His questions centered around the music on my phone. Although I wanted to help him get music on his phone, I'm a Mac person, and he's a PC person. It did foster good conversations about digital media (especially music and books). We looked at my purchased music vs. my downloaded music. My purchased music is probably $600. This doesn't include the amount of money I've spent downloading books. Since I have 146 downloaded books, this is at least $700 (if each book only cost $5).
Enter today's learning... We talked about in the past, when one died, people could disperse the books and music. Now it's a little more complicated because it's in "the cloud". I did a little research (still have more questions that knowledge) about digital assets. It seems I'm not the only one wondering what will happen to my music. The simple answer may be to make sure someone has access to Kindle and iTunes accounts, but it seems to be a bit more complicated. There's also FB, Blogger, Twitter... Someone needs to be able to access and ultimately shut these down. Again, it seems the basic answer is to make a list (think of all accounts and passwords). This may be as important as bank accounts. Each website, however, has different policies and procedures. Personally, I click accept and don't read the policies.
Has anyone else thought about this or looked into it? These websites were helpful, but I really wanted a Dummies version for digital assets. I'm not sure how much I "learned", but it is certainly something to think about.

Comments