Today I taught the students the word penultimate (Thanks LH) because it was indeed their penultimate day as seventh graders at VVM. We finished up media literacy. My hope is that at least 25% of the students were able to internalize some of the message about the media and the importance to realize its tactics. Yesterday as I was debating about whether to use Same Love by Macklemore (It has a message if everyone isn't treated justly no one is treated justly which fits with the messages media shares about gender, class, race... I did decide to play the song, but I felt uncomfortable showing the video. We watched Prince's Fix UR Life Up and talked about misogynistic lyrics in music and finished up with Same Love). As I was discussing the message (beyond gay rights) of the song with this colleague, she asked me if I had seen the video for Wings. Not only had I not seen the video, I hadn't heard the song. We went in my room, and I pulled it up on Youtube. Perfect! I added the video and discussion to my lesson plans. Next year I'll probably place it closer to the discussion about logos and persuasive techniques, but it's a great video. I love being able to use relevant and current information and having the ability to change it as I go. Soooo.... I've attempted to teach media literacy and have ended the academic year. Two days remain (the zoo and staff workday). I got this!
Today I taught the students the word penultimate (Thanks LH) because it was indeed their penultimate day as seventh graders at VVM. We finished up media literacy. My hope is that at least 25% of the students were able to internalize some of the message about the media and the importance to realize its tactics. Yesterday as I was debating about whether to use Same Love by Macklemore (It has a message if everyone isn't treated justly no one is treated justly which fits with the messages media shares about gender, class, race... I did decide to play the song, but I felt uncomfortable showing the video. We watched Prince's Fix UR Life Up and talked about misogynistic lyrics in music and finished up with Same Love). As I was discussing the message (beyond gay rights) of the song with this colleague, she asked me if I had seen the video for Wings. Not only had I not seen the video, I hadn't heard the song. We went in my room, and I pulled it up on Youtube. Perfect! I added the video and discussion to my lesson plans. Next year I'll probably place it closer to the discussion about logos and persuasive techniques, but it's a great video. I love being able to use relevant and current information and having the ability to change it as I go. Soooo.... I've attempted to teach media literacy and have ended the academic year. Two days remain (the zoo and staff workday). I got this!
Comments
Way to make every second count!
Happy Summer!