I signed up for today's Kayak a Wetland Tour awhile ago. When I asked people to go with me, they either didn't want to or couldn't because they had to work. Last night I checked the website. Looking at the website I LEARNED it didn't leave from Iowa Lakeside Lab, as I had thought, but the Dickinson County Nature Center. It's a good thing they had an address on the website because I wasn't sure of the location. Instead of a bright sunny morning, it was rainy and cloudy which wasn't a problem because I packed a light rain jacket and had my Pelican case for my phone. My experience with kayaking is fairly non-existant (two or three times total), so I thought the guide should know he was dealing with a complete amateur. He gave me some quick tips. After today's kayaking, I'm certainly better. I LEARNED to keep my arms up higher (I know this seems obvious to most), and it helped especially as the wind picked up on our return trip.
Plus, I LEARNED little things as we paddled the wetlands.
1) There are three kinds of carp that are bad... not merely the Asian carp.
2) Cattails are edible although not after they look like what I think of as cattails.
3) Wetlands filter water before it goes into the bigger lakes.
Most importantly...
4) They have been doing these tours every Friday for several years.
5) Each Friday they go to a different wetland.
6) One can sometimes find kayaks for as low as $200.
Yay! It was a great morning. I'm in for the July Kayak a Wetland Tour!

Comments
That was v. awesome.