Even though we finished Louder than a Bomb on Monday, today we did a wrap-up in our journals. Actually someone wanted the Chrome Books, so we did the Perceive activity orally. I showed pictures of the major poets in the movie. When asked what they Steinmenauts reminded her of, one student said, "Determined Raccoons." Although the word determined does describe the team, I was shocked by the use of the word raccoon. The student is at least partially black. I explained that determine was a good word but that raccoon or coon was derogatory. A couple of boys (black) started to turn on her, and I, of course, stopped them. For some reason, I think that she really didn't know what she was saying and perhaps understood as I tried to explain why it was a bad choice of animal. Part of me thinks it's great that she doesn't know the negative connotation while to other part was dismayed. Some teachable moments are more difficult than others.
Even though we finished Louder than a Bomb on Monday, today we did a wrap-up in our journals. Actually someone wanted the Chrome Books, so we did the Perceive activity orally. I showed pictures of the major poets in the movie. When asked what they Steinmenauts reminded her of, one student said, "Determined Raccoons." Although the word determined does describe the team, I was shocked by the use of the word raccoon. The student is at least partially black. I explained that determine was a good word but that raccoon or coon was derogatory. A couple of boys (black) started to turn on her, and I, of course, stopped them. For some reason, I think that she really didn't know what she was saying and perhaps understood as I tried to explain why it was a bad choice of animal. Part of me thinks it's great that she doesn't know the negative connotation while to other part was dismayed. Some teachable moments are more difficult than others.

Comments