Today I introduced my media literacy unit without talking. We did an activity that showed (human graph) the amount of time spent "plugged in" and the amount of commercials seen in a day (3000). New terms were discussed (persuade, inform, entertain, transmit culture) and examples were give. In some classes we even had time for a cheesy, but OK, video at the end. I did this with little (very little, really!) talking thanks to simplemeet.me. It's an online message board/chat type of thing. I typed in instructions and what I wanted to say. Students responded and asked questions. Some student even chastised me for using ppl instead of people (and others that I can't remember). For the most part the class was a bit silent. While some students found it strange, others are hoping I don't have a voice again tomorrow. At least I know if I don't have a voice tomorrow (oh, please, let me have a voice), can teach my class with little talking.
Today I introduced my media literacy unit without talking. We did an activity that showed (human graph) the amount of time spent "plugged in" and the amount of commercials seen in a day (3000). New terms were discussed (persuade, inform, entertain, transmit culture) and examples were give. In some classes we even had time for a cheesy, but OK, video at the end. I did this with little (very little, really!) talking thanks to simplemeet.me. It's an online message board/chat type of thing. I typed in instructions and what I wanted to say. Students responded and asked questions. Some student even chastised me for using ppl instead of people (and others that I can't remember). For the most part the class was a bit silent. While some students found it strange, others are hoping I don't have a voice again tomorrow. At least I know if I don't have a voice tomorrow (oh, please, let me have a voice), can teach my class with little talking.


Comments