Wednesday's journal for the seventh graders is a listening day, and we listened to Billy Collins read The Lanyard. Actually, I think anyone reading this should stop and go to Youtube and watch the video because Billy Collins is amazing as were the seventh grade comments today. We're writing poems in language arts class, and today's poem topic was a marble. Each seventh grade student was armed with a marble and the task of finding imagery words (sight, touch, sound... Not, absolutely NOT, taste or smell). Marbles bounced off desks, spun across the floor, pinged on any available metal object and then sat patiently in the pencil holders as the poems were written. Both The Lanyard and the marbles brought back memories for the students that they shared with me as I walked around the room. Many were about silly drawing they gave a loved one when they were little that the loved one treasured. A couple Latino girls told me about playing marbles. When I mentioned that I had a picture of boys playing marbles in Guatemala, they said that I needed to use it for our Perceive journal tomorrow. Actually the photo of the boys is better than the image I had chosen, so it will be our journal entry for tomorrow. Sometimes, my job is too easy.
It's too bad this #30daysofbiking is not going as smoothly. You can check my tweets every day (?), but I won't bore you with a post until I've finished my first week which I think will actually happen.
Comments
I may have to steal that idea.