![]() |
| Look closely... red splotch = cardinal. |
The birds have been chirping every morning through the horrible rain and snow and cold and wind and... well and winter. Yesterday was crazy. My entire lunch and prep period was filled with meetings and yet another meeting after school. I met a few friends for an early dinner after the last meeting. As I sat waiting for people to arrive, I checked Twitter and saw the news about Boston. My friends filled me in with enough of the details for me to know I didn't want to watch any news. Last night I still had difficulty sleeping thinking of the destruction and the heros.
Today is quote day for journals. Students were given the choice of two Michael Jordan quotes.
- "Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen."
- “I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot .. and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed.”
After yesterday's events, I thought about changing the quotes.
- "Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace." Dalai Lama
- "When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. you will always find people who are helping.'" Fred Rogers
Although I didn't change the quotes, I discussed my thoughts about changing the quotes and read the quotes to the students. They liked the Jordan quotes, but I could tell by the reaction that the other quotes made them think. It was worth sharing my thoughts and quotes although many were entertained that I received the news via Twitter. As the spring (sun) makes a brief appearance today, I realize that it's important to look for the sun in all the bad weather, to "look for the helpers" and "keep inner peace."

Comments