Black Swallowtail
~Mary Oliver
The caterpillar,
Interesting but not exactly lovely,
Humped along among the parley leaves
Eating, always eating.
Then one night it was gone
and in its place a small green confinement hung by two silk threads
on a parsly stem.
I think it took nothing with it except faith,
and patience.
And then one morning
It expressed itself into the most beautiful being.
Winter hangs on and on and on... It's crazy. It's difficult to tell from looking at my Tweets, but I think at least seven of the last fourteen days (#30daysofbiking) have been filled with snow and/or sleet. Part of my being tired has to do with this miserable weather. The only sign of spring is the chirping birds and ducks on the little pond. I feel sorry for both. They have to be confused by this cold. Today at church, it was suggested that we leave our grumblings about the weather outside and concentrate on "transformation." We were reminded of the "hidden life" and "hidden light". Mentally, I know that spring will come and green will sprout out of the ground, but in my heart I am wondering when this winter will end. Spring will "express itself into the most beautiful thing."
Comments