Skip to main content

Surround

Daffodils from Daffodil Days American Cancer Society.

You are a hiding place for me; you preserve me from trouble; you surround me with glad cries of deliverance. - Psalm 32:7

Lindsay Armstrong, in Feasting on the Word*, writes:
At our deepest core, to be human is not to be a sinner but to be loved. To be righteous is not to be sinless but to be forgiven and freed. To be in Christian community is not to downplay brokenness but to accept it and be transformed by the One who healed brokenness on the cross and whose name is and always has been Love.
What a joy it is to know that though we are imperfect people, we are beloved children of a God whose perfect love surrounds us at all times; whose very name and nature is and always will be Love.

Let's be honest.  I don't need Rethink Church to remind me that I'm "imperfect."  Today's trip to buy swimsuits reminded me each time I tried on a different suit.  Although I did not count, I probably tried on at least fifteen swimsuits.  Actually, it might be a larger number since I was able to walk away with three that will work.  Unlike Goldilocks, I was not able to find any that were "just right."  Well, I did find one that was pretty close, but it was a $90 bikini.  No way! 

At one point, as I was trying on suits, wallowing in my self-loathing, I could hear a girl and her mom across the hall.  The girls "hiding place" was the changing room.  She, too, I imagine, was trying on swimsuits.  Several times the mother tried to "preserve [her] from trouble; [and] surround [her] with glad cries of deliverance."  She kept asking her daughter if there was anything she would like her to see.  The daughter's reply was always a one word, "No."  The mom asks other understanding and loving questions as well as comments, but the answers were always one word.  I could feel the frustration of the daughter (especially since I was feeling the same thing) while I could also feel the mom wanting to make it easier for her daughter. It's not only my body that's imperfect.  Part of me, the judgmental part, wanted to see the girl and judge for myself if she was going to be able to find the perfect suit.

Although I am an imperfect person, I do feel surrounded (most times) by the love of friends, family, and of course the Holy One.  Actually, I feel solace in the fact that I (and everyone else) am an imperfect person.  After all, it's our imperfectness that binds us together.  It also gives us the opportunity to reach out and help each other.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Demolition

The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars "Today I don't feel like doing anything I just wanna lay in my bed Don't feel like picking up my phone, so leave a message at the tone 'Cause today I swear I'm not doing anything." I am going to school with a thank you/apology note in hand. Yesterday I was "caught red handed" making illegal copies on the staff copier. It's not like it's the first time I've done it. It's not like everyone doesn't do it. It's not like I feel sorry about making the copies The problem is that I was caught, completely "busted". I watched the copy police (lovely lady) walk into make a copy and knew she would see the copies I was making and be upset to quite upset. "Shit," I uttered as I was talking to the secretaries watching her walk into the room. According to the copy police I am banned from the staff copier. Maybe I'll try to follow the rules for the next week or two. An ea...