Thus says the LORD, who makes a way in the sea, a path in the mighty waters, who brings out chariot and horse, army and warrior; they lie down, they cannot rise, they are extinguished, quenched like a wick: Do not remember the former things, or consider the things of old. - Isaiah 43: 16-18
*Reproduced from Revised Common Lectionary Prayers copyright © 2002 Consultation on Common Texts
I'm not really sure what Rethink Church wants me to get out of today's word and verse, so I'm glad they included the poem. First, I appreciate the line "God of wilderness and water." The poem says a lot although I'm no a fan of the word "repentance" or "heaven-rending". Let me give this a try...
God of wilderness and water,
your Son was baptized and challenged as we are.
Guide us through this season and all seasons
Remind us that you are part of our lives all year not merely Christmas and Lent.
Stay with us that we may not avoid struggle,
but open ourselves to blessing,
through forgiveness, understanding, compassion
and the words and movements of the Spirit.
Amen, Thanks, Blessings
Maybe it's not an improvement, but it seems to be more accessible, at least to me.
Spring starts on Wednesday. According to the meteorologists, winter will ignore the calendar and stay with us all week. Today I decided to fight the wilderness of winter by refusing to wear my winter coat. Tonight I will repent and wear my coat to the gym. I'm ready to be baptized in the water of the ocean. One week. One week.
Comments