Beloved, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but this one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 3:13-14
The Message phrases these verses in Philippians like this:
I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back.We’re not experts at following Christ. But we try. Every day.
Beloved: Where is God beckoning you? Will you run and not turn back?
I appreciate translation from the message. "I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back." Posting about these prompts and passages has given me the opportunity to question and rethink my faith each day of Lent, at least to this point. The opportunity has been challenging and humbling, but I think a spiritual path should have these characteristics. In my spiritual life, my personal life, and my professional life, I believe this... "I'm not an expert. But I try. Every day." Some days, of course are more challenging than others. Today I haven't been feeling well. When I colleague looked at me this morning, he asked how it was going. He was questioning my state because I had stumbled and was walking slowly to quite slowly. "I got this," I replied as I walked out the door towards my class." I got this translates to "I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back."
As I was looking for my picture for beloved, I first looked through pictures of family and friends. I finally settled on this picture of a cathedral in Puerto Vallarta because I will be finishing my Lenten journey in Puerto Vallarto. Where is God beckoning me? The instant answer with today's weather is the sunny beaches of Mexico.
Comments
And for the sunny beaches in your future.