Skip to main content

Alone


Six days before the Passover Jesus came to Bethany, the home of Lazarus, whom he had raised from the dead. There they gave a dinner for him. Martha served, and Lazarus was one of those at the table with him. Mary took a pound of costly perfume made of pure nard, anointed Jesus’ feet, and wiped them with her hair. The house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume. But Judas Iscariot, one of his disciples (the one who was about to betray him), said, “Why was this perfume not sold for three hundred denarii and the money given to the poor?”  (He said this not because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief; he kept the common purse and used to steal what was put into it.)  Jesus said, “Leave her alone. She bought it so that she might keep it for the day of my burial. You always have the poor with you, but you do not always have me.” - John 8:1-12

Passions can sometimes get the best of us. They make us do crazy things. In this text, we see an example of Mary’s passion come to life as she pours perfume on the feet of this rabel rouser named Jesus. 
Perhaps Judas had a point in raising a fuss about Mary’s actions. Who spends that much money on a bottle of fragrance only to waste it on someone’s feet? Think about all the things that could have been done with the money spent.
But Mary was doing what was required of a disciple: she served others, loved generously and showed extravagant hospitality. She modeled what Jesus would later share with his disciples when he washed their feet.
Jesus saw the passion and the hospitality shown in this extravagant act of anointing his feet. Maybe he recognized his own passion in this act. 

And so he responded to Judas by saying: Leave her alone.
What extravagant act of hospitality is being required of you this day?

What extravagant act of hospitality is being required of you this day?   Ummm.... I guess this is a good question.  The first thing that came to mind was my trip to Guatemala to help fit kids with wheelchairs and supply schools with water filters.  Of course, this isn't something I can do today, but it is a time when I felt as though I was participating in an "extravagant act of hospitality."  In reality, I don't think we have an opportunity everyday to participate in "extravagant hospitality."  I do think I am required to be hospitable each day.  Maybe it's giving someone a smile, checking on someone, supporting a colleague, phoning a long time friend...  Anyway, I did call my friend to let her know that I would be interested in another trip to fit kids with wheelchairs in Guatemala this summer.  

OK, that being said, I've always had a difficult time with this Bible verse.  I have to agree a bit with Martha.  Martha is a worker.  She doesn't feel appreciated.  Mary is being extravagant, but couldn't she have shown her the same love and loyalty with olive oil?  


Comments

LH said…
I like the word "hospitable."

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Demolition

The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars "Today I don't feel like doing anything I just wanna lay in my bed Don't feel like picking up my phone, so leave a message at the tone 'Cause today I swear I'm not doing anything." I am going to school with a thank you/apology note in hand. Yesterday I was "caught red handed" making illegal copies on the staff copier. It's not like it's the first time I've done it. It's not like everyone doesn't do it. It's not like I feel sorry about making the copies The problem is that I was caught, completely "busted". I watched the copy police (lovely lady) walk into make a copy and knew she would see the copies I was making and be upset to quite upset. "Shit," I uttered as I was talking to the secretaries watching her walk into the room. According to the copy police I am banned from the staff copier. Maybe I'll try to follow the rules for the next week or two. An ea...