Skip to main content

Spirit(s) and Recap #9

http://www.fultonbeer.com/the-beer/sweet-child-of-vine
The spirit
  likes to dress up like this:
    ten fingers,
      ten toes,

shoulders, and all the rest
  at night
    in the black branches,
      in the morning

in the blue branches
  of the world.
    It could float, of course,
      but would rather

plumb rough matter.
  Airy and shapeless thing,
    it needs
      the metaphor of the body,

lime and appetite,
  the oceanic fluids;
    it needs the body's world,
      instinct

and imagination
  and the dark hug of time,
    sweetness
      and tangibility,

to be understood,
  to be more than pure light
    that burns
      where no one is --

so it enters us --
  in the morning
    shines from brute comfort
      like a stitch of lightning;

and at night
  lights up the deep and wondrous
    drownings of the body
      like a star.


by Mary Oliver, from Dream Work
Atlantic Monthly Pr., 1986, ISBN 0871130696


The Spirit of God made me what I am, the breath of God Almighty gave me life! - Job 33:4 [The Message]

Although I'm certain that Rethink Church was thinking of The Spirit and not spirits when they chose the word for today, I am going to concentrate on spirits.  Some of the words for this challenge are difficult, and I find Spirit to be one of them.  When I think of the Trinity (Father, Son, and Holy Ghost), I am most moved by the Holy Ghost, the spirit that moves within me.  At times, I feel as though it is truly part of every breath.  Today's word was a mystery to me.  How do I write about the Spirit that moves within me and my breath?  I remembered the Mary Oliver poem and thought it would be useful.  At noon I was trying to figure out my Spirit post as an e-mail appeared in my inbox.  Happy Hour.

(Start Recap).  When I receive a happy hour invite, I first look to see who received the e-mail.  Am I one of the fun ones?  Did everyone get the e-mail?  Will a, b, c, d, attend (both good and bad)?  I forwarded the e-mail to a colleague whom I wanted to attend.  Next, in true middle school fashion, I started talking to recipients to see if some unsavory people, not on the list, were going to attend.  Yep, it literally went like this, "I saw S talking to C and K.  Are they attending?"  I am a very small person who has little patience for stupid people.  The colleague and I discussed who would and would not attend, and we promised to text if we heard the "stupid" and "irritating" people were going to make an appearance.  As of 2:10, all was good.  I left the building, as soon as possible, to enjoy a lovely happy hour with fun people.  The spirit(s) filled me as I conversed with my colleagues, and I decided to imbibe in yet another glass before I returned home. 

I'm certain to quite certain that Rethink Church was not talking about spirit(s), but I am pleased to say that spirit(s) and entertaining banter were part of today which is also National Margarita Day.  Who knew?  I would have ordered a margarita instead of Sweet Child of Vine (lovely).

BTW- I am going to post this picture today on Pinterest and Twitter for my official Spirit picture.




Comments

LH said…
I always check out who's coming to these events as well. Not super proud of that, but that's how i am.

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Missing You

Two Sundays ago I missed church because I was out of town. Last Sunday I missed church because I could not get to church due to the marathon (blocking my path... not my running). Dad and I tried to leave early, but we did not leave early enough. I joked with Dad about the fact that they would miss me at church. When I checked my e-mail this evening, I actually had an e-mail from my pastor saying I was missed. It was a short e-mail, but it was sweet and definitely a positive part of my day.