Day 5: Settle
When you have come into the land that the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance to possess, and you possess it, and settle in it, you shall take some of the first of all the fruit of the ground, which you harvest from the land that the LORD your God is giving you, and you shall put it in a basket and go to the place that the LORD your God will choose as a dwelling for his name. You shall go to the priest who is in office at that time, and say to him, “Today I declare to the LORD your God that I have come into the land that the LORD swore to our ancestors to give us.”- Deuteronomy 26:1-3
According to today's entry from Rethink Church, "we are a wandering and restless people." They ask, "Where is your wandering and journeying leading you to settle down?"
A couple of days ago I was having a conversation with my dad's significant other, Carol. We were discussing how I always felt as though Okoboji was indeed my home. Iowa was more of a home than Minnesota. She was surprised by this especially when I told her I thought I would probably always live in Minneapolis. Something draws me back to Okoboji and makes me feel comfortable, settled, when I am there (at home).
Several years ago I was looking for a church. My search was intensive. Each Sunday I would go to a different church. Of course I started with those within walking distance of my apartment (then home), but I couldn't find the faith community I was for which I was searching. Since I couldn't find a church within walking distance, I branched out to farther locations. Hennepin Avenue Church has an incredibly beautiful building, so I landed there. The congregation was large enough that I could sit without having to talk to people, and the minister (at the time) had a wonderful voice. I settled in and in some ways settled because it really wasn't the service for which I was searching. When he left, I wasn't sure what to do. A member of the church suggested I try Sacred Journey (a service that meets in the art gallery). This was a smaller congregation, and the people of this service did not let me sit without talking and being engaged. Sacred Journey has become more than my faith community. In many ways I consider the people in this worship service to be my family. I rarely miss church, not out of obligation, but because I want to see these people and be a part of this worship. Maybe I have settled without having to settle.
Comments
We are starting our own search for a service that fits our family. It is a commitment.