O God, you are my God, I seek you, my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory. Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. So I will bless you as long as I live; I will lift up my hands and call on your name. - Psalm 63:1-4
I'm not quite sure what is being asked from me in the question, "What in your life do you desire so much that it causes this response?" Rethink Church goes on to say, "Whether you are desiring to know God more or desiring to have that desire to know God more, may it grow into something that fully engages your senses, causing you to lift your hands."
Instead of concentrating on the question, I concentrated on "something that fully engages my [your] senses, causing me [you] to lift my [your] hands." Since I typically tend to think of God as more of an energy, I feel that God's "sanctuary" is our world. When I am in nature, I lift up my hands. The beauty that surrounds me is constant, but it is certainly more intense as I travel. This Lenten practice has me perusing my pictures, and I've been to amazing places. When I was standing in the Grand Canyon, I was in awe of the beauty. Standing in the Grand Canyon, I felt the presence of God and probably literally lifted my hands. Of course pictures can't show it's beauty, so I chose pictures from Homer, Alaska and Zihautanejo, Mexico.
As I was thinking of the word lift this morning, I was also thinking of things that "lift my spirits". Often it is people that come to mind. Unfortunately, it's a stressful week at school, and I have been thinking more of those people (colleagues and students) who bring me down. One example would be the overzealous mother who sends me daily e-mails now that it is the end of the trimester because her son has a 33%. Perhaps she should have attended spring conferences or worried about his grade earlier in the trimester. Better yet, perhaps the student, himself, should actually give a shit about his grade. Another example would be the colleague who seems incompetent and can't help even though it's technically his job to help. The word isn't downer; however, the word is lift. When I started focusing on lift, several colleagues (present and former), friends, casual aquaintances, and yes, even students came to mind.
I probably don't "behold" God's "power and glory" (don't get me started on these two words) everyday, but I know that the Holy One surrounds me in nature and wonderful people. Often, I say that I am blessed, and I truly believe this. Today I will say that I am "lifted".
Comments