The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When evildoers assail me to devour my flesh— my adversaries and foes— they shall stumble and fall. Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war rise up against me, yet I will be confident. One thing I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: to live in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple. For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will set me high on a rock. Now my head is lifted up above my enemies all around me, and I will offer in his tent sacrifices with shouts of joy; I will sing and make melody to the LORD. Hear, O LORD, when I cry aloud, be gracious to me and answer me! “Come,” my heart says, “seek his face!” Your face, LORD, do I seek. - Psalm 27:1-8
According to Rethink Church, "But the psalmist begins and ends the song in proclaiming trust in God. We will see the goodness of the Lord not in some far away place, but in the land of the living. In our lifetime."
How have you experienced the cover of God?
I think it's a stretch that they came up with the word cover from this Bible verse. First, I was thinking of Psalm 23 (The Lord is my shephard... green pastures... still water... my cup runneth over). Personally, I think this would have been a more appropriate verse for a photo-a-day challenge because of the visualization, but I'm not the one choosing the verses (and/or words). When I read the verse (Psalm 27 as I'm supposed to) and look at the question, the Progressive Christian in me arises. First, I don't think of God as some man sitting in heaven with nothing to do but to protect and/or judge me. In reality, I feel more comfortable using the Holy One. When have I experienced the cover of the Holy One? Each and every day, I experience the cover of the Holy One, but it takes different forms. Perhaps it's the birds chirping loudly reminding spring is close that I heard this morning as I opened the garage door. Maybe it's the covering of snow that makes everything feel new again. Sometimes it's the smile of a friendly face. Often it's the feeling that I am loved and blessed. Also, I never feel as though I have "enemies all around me"; it doesn't seem like a Christian feeling. Although "my heart" doesn't actually "say, 'seek his face!" (assuming God is a he), I do feel this energy of Holiness around me (covering me).
Comments