The seventh graders finished their "Moment in Time" (mini-memoir?) today. Part of the assignment was to color code aspects of the Six Traits (basically sentence fluency and word choice). While some students struggled to finish their assignments, others finished early. My classes that sandwich lunch (sandwich, lunch, hee hee) are the most difficult. Both classes struggle with behavior. I often feel as though I spend most of the hour asking them to pay attention, sit down, be quiet, listen, be quiet, listen, pay attention... It is tiring having to "be on them" all the time. I'm sure there's a better way to handle this class, but I'm also sure it's not in my personality. Today during this class, one of my tough students (hot and cold) finished early. When she finished, I asked her to either sit quietly and/or read. Of course, I felt the need to follow up, "What did you decide to do now that you're finished?" I asked. She let me know that she wanted to write. After giving her some time to get started, I suggested she write me a poem.
My Teacher
My favorite teacher
Amazing but keeps her word about punishment
Responsible
Yells only if necessary
Makes sure A, M & D stay in line
Outstanding
Excellent of scaring people
Leanyent ... with me (I'm M... Duh)
Least irritating teacher
Ever make her mad she'll get you back
Respectful
OK. My guess is leanyent is lenient (which is good word choice but poor spelling... I prefer word choice to spelling). I'm not sure how "Ever make her mad she'll get you back" fits with Respectful, but... I'm also not really sure how to take the poem, but I think it's more positive than negative although it also makes me feel old and crabby for the second day this week.
Comments
Overall, the poem shows some serious love for you. You're not old and crabby. You're youngish and caring.