Sankalpa teaches us that we are both being and becoming. There is that part of us that doesn’t need anything and a part of us that comes into life with a purpose and that is always becoming. Rod Stryker, founder of ParaYoga says “It’s vital for happiness that you walk both paths simultaneously. Direct your energy with intention, but be mindful that your nature is unchanged whether you achieve your goals or not. Live as contentedly as possible in between the goal and realizing the goal.”
Yes, I did copy and paste this from LH, but I think it's fitting. Besides, I told her when she posted this that I was going to steal it and use it at some point. Part of living as "contentedly as possible between the goal and realizing the goal" is living the threshold and realizing I am always ready for something new. Today I was observed by a peer. When she came in the room, she asked where she should sit. I told her that she could sit anywhere. "Where will you be?" she asked. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? My peer observer asked me where I was going to be in the classroom. What does this mean? Will I be sitting behind my desk? I always strive to be a better teacher although I'm often "in between the goal and realizing the goal." When a peer mentor asks a question like this, however, I'm confused about the goal. Isn't the goal student contact and helping the students to achieve? "Um, I'll be walking around the room, " I replied. My guess is the post-conference will not help me achieve my goal of becoming a better teacher. Seriously?!
Comments
I really liked reading the quote again.
Awesome.