I stole this from Anne Lamott's Facebook page. If you're not following her, skip reading my post, open up Facebook, and follow her. She's real, spiritual, and funny.
"...I would cancel December--no aluminum trres, no Almond Roca, no Salvation Army Bell Ringers, no Rudolph the F-ing red nosed reindeer. But then a tiny memory comes back. I believe in Prayer.
I believe in Prayer. Oops, that sort of slipped my mind. I live by the bouyency and second winds of Grace, of Goodness, divine Love, and it is Advent, when we celebrate, in the dark and the cold, that the light is returning. The capital L light, shards of it all over the place when we just remember to keep an eye out for it--to wake back up, to stop hitting the snooze button. As Wendell Berry said to me at the Book Depot nearly 30 years ago, in bleak, doomed mid-December, "It gets darker and darker and darker; and then Jesus is born." So I hang my head, and say, "I need help." I suddenly remembered not who I am, the Princess, but Whose I am."
The second Sunday of Advent (and Chanukkah started last evening) comes with snow and more snow. I hate snow and winter and cold and dark days, but I can't help staring out the window at the beauty. It is magnificent outside with this blanket of white covering everything.

Comments