The Victor by C. W. Longenecker
If you think you are beaten, you are,
If you think you dare not, you don't.
If you like to win, but you think you can't,
It is almost certain you won't.
If you think you'll lose, you're lost,
For out in the world we find,
Success begins with a fellow's will.
It's all in the state of mind.
If you think you are outclassed, you are,
You've got to think high to rise,
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.
Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man.
But soon or late the man who wins,
Is the man who thinks he can.
Yesterday's Rams' game was not televised, but I was able to receive updates on my phone. Well, this isn't completely true. The overtime was televised, so I spent the entire overtime yelling at the television. Today, I used this debacle to teach my class. We started class with "The Victor". As students were writing in their journal, I handed back last week's homework. Many lost points merely due to lack of punctuation or capitalization. When we finished the discussion of "The Victor", I shared the story of the Rams' overtime. I based it on the made 53 yard field goal which was called back due to a delay of game on the Rams side. We discussed how these guys should know how to line up for a field goal since they've been doing it since high school. Then, I compared not being able line up for a field goal to leaving off end punctuation on a sentence. "You made the field goal but penalized yourself and lost the game, " I explained. Actually, I would like to thank the Rams for their ridiculous play because it proved to be a good lesson and taking one's time and doing the best possible job.

Comments