Tonight I returned from listening to Erin Morgenstern, at Talking Volumes, excited about books and reading. Perhaps I'm often excited about books and reading, but I love listening to authors. Actually I was supes excited about this year's Talking Volumes series because of Abraham Verghese, and I found his the least fascinating.
Anyway, I returned home and filled out my World Book Night Application. The idea came to me this morning as I stopped by Caribou to get my hot cocoa for breakfast. I think it's a fun idea and hope the people at World Book Night will agree. The three books I chose are fantastic (The Tenderbar, Looking for Alaska, and The Alchemist).
Where do you intend to give away the books?
I would like to give my books away at coffee shops, restaurants, and bars. As I go through my normal day, starting with coffee at the local coffee shop, I would distribute books. When I stop at the convenience store for a soda in the afternoon, I would pass out more books. After work when I stop for dinner or pick of food at the grocery store, I would pass out the remainder of my books. My books would be passed out to service workers throughout my normal day. As I greeted people and thanked them for their service, I would pass on a book and my love of reading.
To whom do you intend to giveaway books to?
My idea is to give my books to workers in the service industry, those people that wait on my each and every day. They get my coffee, take my money as I purchase gas or gum or soda, bag my groceries as I shop for dinner. I remember working in the service industry and would like to give back by sharing a good (great!) book.
Why do you want to give books away?
I want to give books away because I love reading. More importantly, I want to give books away because I feel that they are "a gift that keeps on giving." Books are passed on from person to person. We do this with our friends. It would be an amazing experience to share books with people who may not be able to afford a book of their own, not a book from the library (although libraries rock), but a book to keep. Each day people from the service industry brighten my day with a smile and a thanks. Sharing books with them would be a special way to give thanks in return. Plus, it would be a way to share my love of reading since I am super excited about my three choices.
Anyway, I returned home and filled out my World Book Night Application. The idea came to me this morning as I stopped by Caribou to get my hot cocoa for breakfast. I think it's a fun idea and hope the people at World Book Night will agree. The three books I chose are fantastic (The Tenderbar, Looking for Alaska, and The Alchemist).
Where do you intend to give away the books?
I would like to give my books away at coffee shops, restaurants, and bars. As I go through my normal day, starting with coffee at the local coffee shop, I would distribute books. When I stop at the convenience store for a soda in the afternoon, I would pass out more books. After work when I stop for dinner or pick of food at the grocery store, I would pass out the remainder of my books. My books would be passed out to service workers throughout my normal day. As I greeted people and thanked them for their service, I would pass on a book and my love of reading.
To whom do you intend to giveaway books to?
My idea is to give my books to workers in the service industry, those people that wait on my each and every day. They get my coffee, take my money as I purchase gas or gum or soda, bag my groceries as I shop for dinner. I remember working in the service industry and would like to give back by sharing a good (great!) book.
Why do you want to give books away?
I want to give books away because I love reading. More importantly, I want to give books away because I feel that they are "a gift that keeps on giving." Books are passed on from person to person. We do this with our friends. It would be an amazing experience to share books with people who may not be able to afford a book of their own, not a book from the library (although libraries rock), but a book to keep. Each day people from the service industry brighten my day with a smile and a thanks. Sharing books with them would be a special way to give thanks in return. Plus, it would be a way to share my love of reading since I am super excited about my three choices.

Comments
Having worked in the service industry with you, I think your give away is a great idea. They are often thankless jobs and odd schedules where you have a little down time between shifts to pick up a book and get carried away.