Each day my students write in their journals. This week's theme is autumn. Monday students read and wrote about a poem entitled Octobery by W. S. Merwin. It included the line "leaves the color of shoulders at the end of summer". Tuesday was quote day. I think I took this line from a poem by Robert Frost, but I used it as a quote. "I have been treading on leaves all day until I am autumn tired." As students explained when they were autumn tired, I realized I was (AM) a bit "autumn tired". Autumn tired to me happens because of the darkness, the stress of school, the darkness, the need to do all of those things outside that I won't do in winter, and the darkness. Today was the journal listening day. This day is always developing. Typically I do not let them watch if there is a video because I really want them to listen and write. They write what they hear, what they believe, and what they question. As we readied to listen to today's story, I told them they could watch the video (Lonely Pumpkin) because it was adorable. You can be your own judge, but I think it's adorable. Two more days of journals end this week, and I'm ready to rest my autumn tired body.
Each day my students write in their journals. This week's theme is autumn. Monday students read and wrote about a poem entitled Octobery by W. S. Merwin. It included the line "leaves the color of shoulders at the end of summer". Tuesday was quote day. I think I took this line from a poem by Robert Frost, but I used it as a quote. "I have been treading on leaves all day until I am autumn tired." As students explained when they were autumn tired, I realized I was (AM) a bit "autumn tired". Autumn tired to me happens because of the darkness, the stress of school, the darkness, the need to do all of those things outside that I won't do in winter, and the darkness. Today was the journal listening day. This day is always developing. Typically I do not let them watch if there is a video because I really want them to listen and write. They write what they hear, what they believe, and what they question. As we readied to listen to today's story, I told them they could watch the video (Lonely Pumpkin) because it was adorable. You can be your own judge, but I think it's adorable. Two more days of journals end this week, and I'm ready to rest my autumn tired body.
Comments