Skip to main content

Wing Young Huie

http://www.wingyounghuie.com/

Wing Young Huie is a Minneapolis photographer.  I would say that most people in Minneapolis have seen his photographs even if they didn't know it was his work.  He catches the essence of individuals in our community.  Recently he mentioned a gallery event an exhibition, (re)locate: A Place to Call Home, on his website.  It interested me since it focused on "recently-arrived immigrants" and their stories in words and photographs.  Since I was unable to make the event, I wanted to see the exhibition.  The website said that his gallery was open by appointment.  Without realizing that the exhibition had left, I e-mailed Wing Young Huie to see his exhibits.  An appointment was set for this afternoon, and I went to the Third Place Gallery with a friend.  We didn't really know what to expect.  Of course the gallery walls were filled with his work, but not as much as I had expected.  As we entered, we told him that we were teachers and had used some of his works when we use pictures to engage students in thought and writing.  He asked us to sit, and we talked.  To be honest, I'm not sure how long we discussed his work (lectures, photographs, websites, etc.).  My guess is we were engaged in this one-on-one dialogue for at least forty minutes.  Mr. Huie is a fascinating, charming, and gracious man.  I feel blessed to have spent the time with him.  Instead of merely viewing his work, we were engaged in conversation... an amazing experience!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Missing You

Two Sundays ago I missed church because I was out of town. Last Sunday I missed church because I could not get to church due to the marathon (blocking my path... not my running). Dad and I tried to leave early, but we did not leave early enough. I joked with Dad about the fact that they would miss me at church. When I checked my e-mail this evening, I actually had an e-mail from my pastor saying I was missed. It was a short e-mail, but it was sweet and definitely a positive part of my day.