The bike trail is closed for maintenance. This means black tar and oil are being place on the trail to make it nicer. It also means I need to take the detour when I ride into the Uptown YWCA (or Uptown in general). Yesterday I arrived at the trail before the oil and tar. A man was in his truck with lights flashing informing people of the detour and alternative routes. Since I get on the trail a little beyond the green sign, I was technically already in the closed off area. I made my way to the truck to explain that I merely wanted to get on Kenilworth that I wasn't going to take the Greenway into Uptown. He nicely informed me that I was going to be a mess of tar and oil if I made that choice. Oh, the detour seemed lovely. Today I once again arrived on the closed off part of the trail and walked my bike on the edge to the man in the truck. I wanted him to know that I did not go on the trail and merely walked on the side of it although I'm not sure why I felt the need to give this explanation. Once again he was friendly as he was when I returned and walked past the barriers to my residence. Later in the afternoon I walked to the grocery store and once again needed to pass the barriers and the man in the truck. Of course, I felt the need to talk to him since no one was around, and he looked a little bored. It seems he needs to sit in his truck from 7:30 to 3:30 every day until the trail is finished. He was thankful for phones with internet and friendly bikers. I think I'm thankful for those two things too.
The bike trail is closed for maintenance. This means black tar and oil are being place on the trail to make it nicer. It also means I need to take the detour when I ride into the Uptown YWCA (or Uptown in general). Yesterday I arrived at the trail before the oil and tar. A man was in his truck with lights flashing informing people of the detour and alternative routes. Since I get on the trail a little beyond the green sign, I was technically already in the closed off area. I made my way to the truck to explain that I merely wanted to get on Kenilworth that I wasn't going to take the Greenway into Uptown. He nicely informed me that I was going to be a mess of tar and oil if I made that choice. Oh, the detour seemed lovely. Today I once again arrived on the closed off part of the trail and walked my bike on the edge to the man in the truck. I wanted him to know that I did not go on the trail and merely walked on the side of it although I'm not sure why I felt the need to give this explanation. Once again he was friendly as he was when I returned and walked past the barriers to my residence. Later in the afternoon I walked to the grocery store and once again needed to pass the barriers and the man in the truck. Of course, I felt the need to talk to him since no one was around, and he looked a little bored. It seems he needs to sit in his truck from 7:30 to 3:30 every day until the trail is finished. He was thankful for phones with internet and friendly bikers. I think I'm thankful for those two things too.
Comments