Skip to main content

Writing Group

Working on Wheelchairs in Guatemala

Part (and I would say an important part) of this week's institute is becoming part of a writing group.  Without going into detail, I do not have faith in my writing group.  Yesterday we were instructed to remember a good norm is to remember that everyone comes with good intentions (or something similar).  I left the first meeting with my group thinking, "Yeah, but that doesn't make them smart and/or insightful."  Without discussing the individuals in my group, I would say I was disheartened after our first meeting.  For various reasons neither can share online and/or print out their writings.  This doesn't necessarily mean they will not give worthwhile feed back, but I am not counting on tomorrow's meeting to be productive.  We did set up three guidelines (give positive feedback, give suggestions to help better the writing, and help figure out what to do next). 

The idea for my first writing came to mind when I was talking to someone about what I did in Guatemala.  It had little to do with the kids and those things I have already discussed and or written about, so I thought it might be a new look at myself and the trip.  I chose to write about my ability to use tools.  I'm going to include one paragraph, so you can GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO IMPROVE MY WRITING because I don't think it will happen tomorrow.... Please discuss.

One of my first lessons came when I was a bit younger and was putting away black and galvanized fittings (tees, elbows, couplings...).  Since I knew I would be ostracized if I put the fittings in the incorrect bin, I asked Roman, and older gentleman who wore bib overalls everyday that he worked for my father as a plumber, for advice.  “Roman, how do I tell the difference between male and female fittings,” I pleaded.  Maybe I was too young and naive to catch the gleam in his eye but looking back I’m sure I made his day with this question.  With a serious look on his face he took his first two fingers from his right and and inserted them into the open fist he had made with his left hand.  “It’s like having sex.  The boy, male, puts his fitting into the girl, females,”    Then he screwed the pieces together and added, “It’s a good screw.”  As I remember,  he did it with respect and seriousness, but I’m sure he had laughs with the guys later.  My first lesson was not only about fittings but about trying to figure it out for myself before asking for help. 

No, I really do talk about Guatemala; this is only one paragraph.

Comments

LH said…
Kind of creepy.

No advice, just a positive comment that you've got something good going there. Thinking about gender in objects and real life.
Anonymous said…
I am not the person to help with writing - you should know that :)
J:)

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Missing You

Two Sundays ago I missed church because I was out of town. Last Sunday I missed church because I could not get to church due to the marathon (blocking my path... not my running). Dad and I tried to leave early, but we did not leave early enough. I joked with Dad about the fact that they would miss me at church. When I checked my e-mail this evening, I actually had an e-mail from my pastor saying I was missed. It was a short e-mail, but it was sweet and definitely a positive part of my day.