Skip to main content

Composting my Ideas

Writing down the Bones: Feeling the Writer Within by Natalie Goldberg
Composting

Our sense by themselves are dumb. They take in experience, but they need the richness of sifting for a while through our consciousness and through our whole bodies. I call this “composting.” Our bodies are garbage heaps: we collect experience, and from the decomposition of the thrown-out eggshells, spinach leaves, coffee grinds, and old steak bones of our minds come nitrogran, heat, and very fertile soil. Out of this fertile soil bloom our poems and stories. But this does not come all at once. It takes time. Continue to turn over and over the organic details of your life until some of them fall through the garbage of discursive thoughts to the solid ground of black soil.

When we are raking our minds and taking our shallow thinking and turning it over, if we continue to work with this raw matter, it will draw us deeper and deeper into ourselves, but not in a neurotic way. We will begin to see the rich garden we have inside us and use that for writing. ... Suddenly all of the disparate things we have to say are filled with energy and unity – a bright red tulip shoots out of the compost. ... Suddenly, after much composting, you are in alignment with the stars or the moment or the dining-room chandelier above your head, and your body opens and speaks.





I was pleased that our last day of my week with the MWP Open Institute included a writing prompt.  Our prompt was based on  a passage called Compost we were to reflect on our week.

Although I wish I had something grand composting in my mind, I am saddened to say that I don’t.  Maybe it’s because it’s churning and becoming rich soil, and I have yet to realize all that lays in the heap of discard.  It’s not as if my mind isn’t constantly moving and thinking and challenging; it’s that I can’t come up with the “bright red tulip” that has formed from the rich fertile ground of the composting.  I agree that I need to “practice” and engage my mind in writing every day.  Perhaps the daily writing prompts are something I could continue.  If I had a writing prompt to cultivate each morning, I’m sure I would have even more compost and a bright red tulip.  As for this morning, I only have composting, sitting in the hot, smelly bin. 

Maybe, just maybe, this is the new blog challenge.  Someone could post a writing prompt each day, and others could use if for their daily writing.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love this tie from composting to our expereinces. It is true, a lot of what we take in is garbage but after some sitting in silence and sifting and melding with other experiences, we can draw the connections, learn the lesson and share our growth.

Popular posts from this blog

Sankalpa Day 5

Today I went back to the interweb to find out what I could post about that would relate to sankalpa .  "...Sankalpa has the potential to release tremendous power by clearly defining and focusing on a chosen goal."  My chosen goal since May has truly been on being physically active.  Since it's cold and miserable out, I've been being active inside instead of outside.  December 6th (or something like that) was the last time I ventured outside for physical activity.  I, however, have still been going to they gym and focusing on being physically fit (or at least burning enough calories to eat more food).  Yesterday I received an early morning text from a friend in God's Country .  President Obama was talking about "The President's Challenge" .  Today (I tried yesterday and decided to put it off until today... forget out it... let it happen... put it aside... clear my mind of it... all probably sankalpa) I formed a group.  The...

What if... The Delivery

  Molly was excited to get a package from her friend who lives in Alaska.  When she opened the box, she was confused.  Although the shirt was actually soft and of good quality, she was upset by the guns in the flag.  When she googled Holster's, it was exactly what she thought... pro-gun.  She didn't know how to handle the situation, so she sent a picture stating she was confused. Her friend had obviously lost her mind.  During the conversation, she kept proclaiming that she hadn't sent a t-shirt.  When Molly explained it was her writing on the box, things became weird.  The friend was in a state of denial.  Molly even sent a text with a picture of the writing on the box. Molly's friend was adamant that she sent homemade condiments.  She wouldn't give up on her story even though it was clear Molly is in possession of an NRA type t-shirt.  After much deliberation, the two friends realized what had happened.  The original box, wit...

Missing You

Two Sundays ago I missed church because I was out of town. Last Sunday I missed church because I could not get to church due to the marathon (blocking my path... not my running). Dad and I tried to leave early, but we did not leave early enough. I joked with Dad about the fact that they would miss me at church. When I checked my e-mail this evening, I actually had an e-mail from my pastor saying I was missed. It was a short e-mail, but it was sweet and definitely a positive part of my day.