We have one week of school left and learning is still happening in my room (205). Yesterday will were analyzing television commercials as part of a media literacy unit. The focus is on assumptions (race, gender, class) made in ads. They also think about who's not represented in the ads. Students also think about what techniques are used to get the viewers attention. The commercial we used is somewhat old (2007), but the students recognize the musicians in the video. I'll admit that students do well looking critically at the ad when they are given the opportunity to watch it multiple times and concentrate.
While I was showing the commercial (for the 20th time of the day) to my last class, I noticed a staff member walk past my room then turn back to see what was going on in my room. He actually stopped in and sat at my desk and listened to the discussions for the last thirty (plus) minutes of the day. Initially it was the country music (from the ad) coming out of my room that demanded his attention, but he was impressed that learning was still happening in my room and that it wasn't merely a movie. It seems some teachers are showing movies for the last week. This isn't surprising since the morale in our building is at an all-time low (It doesn't help that ten teachers are leaving next year.). Perhaps it's because this staff member spent as much time in my room on Friday as both of my principals have all year long. Maybe they should take the time to see what learning is happening in my room and what movies are showing in other rooms. Anyway, I'm not excited about seeing another commercial twenty times on Monday, but I am excited about the learning and discussions happening in my classroom. There are not movies in room 205, only commercials.
Comments